depression comix #99
Vocal ticks, an all too common side effect of OCD. Some of them can be extremely fucked up and inappropriate too. Fortunately they’re usually muttered at a volume that sounds louder to us than to anyone else and trying to fight them can make them worse. I used to be very adept at spinning them into a joke if somebody actually overheard one. Now I just say “oh it’s a vocal tick” and then explain what a vocal tick is if they’re curious.
I think the biggest blessing I got from finally being diagnosed and treated was just learning how amazingly “normal” all the fucked up shit I do is for someone with my particular disorder. Once you can come to accept the symptoms of your disorder for what they are and not try to put any judgement on them (ie, I’m suffering this because I’m a horrible person) you really do come to see them in the same way as you would see a limp as it relates to a sprained ankle. The limp’s not the cause of the sprained ankle and nobody’s a horrible person because they limp when they have a sprained ankle.
I think that’s one of the ways in which your comic is very helpful to those who suffer mental illness, by normalizing their symptoms and removing judgement from them.
When you have a cold it is normal to cough, sneeze, have a runny nose. When you have [mental disorder], it is normal to [symptom],[symptom],[symptom]. That doesn’t mean the symptoms aren’t horrible in and of themselves or should be dismissed, it just means they’re a normal part of that condition.
You’re doing great work here Clay, brave work. You should be proud.
Thank you for the kind words, Ghastly. I would like everyone to read the second panel because it’s so well-stated. It’s a great insight and one that could help a lot of people deal with their symptoms.
I don’t think it as particularly brave work, it’s just that I spent a lot of money getting a psychology degree and I have to have something to show for it.
- queerhomura likes this
- kaijuvsgiantrobotsvsme likes this
- flutterbyesandpollywogs reblogged this from depressioncomix and added:
- woodentitsandgiggleshits likes this
- visceralmagic likes this
- foonirvanacage reblogged this from depressioncomix
- rainwasheseverythingaway likes this
- l0ki-causes-ragnorock likes this
- applesause95 likes this
- mariaspockpova likes this
- freakwithlipstick reblogged this from thestarsofmylife
- thestarsofmylife reblogged this from depressioncomix
- albinotaters likes this
- veganroverandom reblogged this from depressioncomix
- sugarycoffee1213 likes this
- bringmethesirensmylove likes this
- rey-manzerak likes this
- orbofthenight likes this
- depressionishome reblogged this from depressioncomix
- depressionishome likes this
- everydayelegy likes this
- krisgroff likes this
- picked-in-the-morning likes this
- porcelainveins likes this
- yesthisislion likes this
- vespiquenofthehousetargaryen likes this
- celestial-cerberus likes this
- stormypopsicle reblogged this from depressioncomix and added:
- corrupted-miindss reblogged this from depressioncomix
- super-rainbows reblogged this from depressioncomix
- paperyplastic likes this
- deckthehallswithfrecklyjesus likes this
- buttfulmavinness likes this
- thisnerdyfangirllovesyou likes this
- madeleine--bennett likes this
- nightvalewelcomesyou reblogged this from depressioncomix
- ohaiitsmew likes this
- jacquemander likes this
- drunkeridan likes this
- dulciusexasperis likes this
- noone-wouldriotforless likes this
- megandg likes this
- venelllope likes this
- ask-once-ler-and-greed-ler likes this
- gianthomo likes this
- outsidethesafezone likes this
- eggnogaub likes this
- gillyhoo reblogged this from depressioncomix
- sireitisdarkneon likes this
- gillyhoo likes this