depression comix #99
Vocal ticks, an all too common side effect of OCD. Some of them can be extremely fucked up and inappropriate too. Fortunately they’re usually muttered at a volume that sounds louder to us than to anyone else and trying to fight them can make them worse. I used to be very adept at spinning them into a joke if somebody actually overheard one. Now I just say “oh it’s a vocal tick” and then explain what a vocal tick is if they’re curious.
I think the biggest blessing I got from finally being diagnosed and treated was just learning how amazingly “normal” all the fucked up shit I do is for someone with my particular disorder. Once you can come to accept the symptoms of your disorder for what they are and not try to put any judgement on them (ie, I’m suffering this because I’m a horrible person) you really do come to see them in the same way as you would see a limp as it relates to a sprained ankle. The limp’s not the cause of the sprained ankle and nobody’s a horrible person because they limp when they have a sprained ankle.
I think that’s one of the ways in which your comic is very helpful to those who suffer mental illness, by normalizing their symptoms and removing judgement from them.
When you have a cold it is normal to cough, sneeze, have a runny nose. When you have [mental disorder], it is normal to [symptom],[symptom],[symptom]. That doesn’t mean the symptoms aren’t horrible in and of themselves or should be dismissed, it just means they’re a normal part of that condition.
You’re doing great work here Clay, brave work. You should be proud.
Thank you for the kind words, Ghastly. I would like everyone to read the second panel because it’s so well-stated. It’s a great insight and one that could help a lot of people deal with their symptoms.
I don’t think it as particularly brave work, it’s just that I spent a lot of money getting a psychology degree and I have to have something to show for it.
- fait-hunter likes this
- dianascompact likes this
- emir-dynamite reblogged this from depressioncomix
- lezlieshy reblogged this from depressioncomix
- openarms187 likes this
- shertealocked likes this
- kmoodsy likes this
- notmeegsnoodlesblogok likes this
- another-angsty-teenager likes this
- ivegotpr0blems reblogged this from depressioncomix
- ivegotpr0blems likes this
- saarantrai reblogged this from depressioncomix
- soliasildo reblogged this from ivegotthetriforce
- dragonman0007 reblogged this from ivegotthetriforce
- neocolamachine reblogged this from ivegotthetriforce
- ivegotthetriforce reblogged this from depressioncomix
- thestoutorialist likes this
- heavenrants likes this
- blaquerose reblogged this from mordecai72
- breezybrie314 likes this
- meleagridis likes this
- pondlifein221b reblogged this from depressioncomix
- pondlifein221b likes this
- mydearwattz reblogged this from yetanotherdepressionblog
- mydearwattz likes this
- yetanotherdepressionblog reblogged this from angelicrpstoomuch
- miwrighting reblogged this from depressioncomix
- terrorsteel likes this
- sherrrlllock reblogged this from sarastro
- sarastro reblogged this from doubtrider
- doubtrider reblogged this from depressioncomix
- waiting-for-a-raggedy-man reblogged this from lookatmytitle
- lexmurphy likes this
- allaspel reblogged this from fabulousfurfrou
- devalut likes this
- jrronimo likes this
- furthest-city-light likes this
- inariedwards likes this
- evenley reblogged this from depressioncomix
- daydrinkingfancy reblogged this from depressioncomix
- 12ofspades likes this
- pretzelquatyl reblogged this from depressioncomix
- cawlie likes this
- rustypipes-and-tigerstripes likes this
- revelationphrazes likes this
- fate-hates-faraday likes this
- iamafiretruck likes this
- thedanishcannibal likes this
- midwestprotohipster likes this
- 42error likes this